Tesla’s Love is the blog for and about people who love animals. No one here cares whether it walks, crawls, swims, slithers, hobbles or knows how to fly, if there is a story about an animal that you love or loves you, this is the place to share that story. The story can be a tribute, a love story or a memorial. It can be about you, this truly is a site for people. Send your story and photos to teslaslove@gmail.com and we promise to post it here.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Bailey is a girl's best friend

This story, published in honor of Christmas Day and the love we all share, is by a dear friend to Tesla's Love. Merry Christmas everyone.



By Brittany Galla

I was 15 when Bailey ran into my life.
I had just buried my beloved Siberian Husky, Niki, and I was in no mood for a new dog. Niki was 12, sweet and calm, and we had seen her passing coming. Her last days were bittersweet. I remember crying to my dad, telling him that I could never love another dog the way I did with Niki.
Exactly a month later, my sister came home with a picture of a Chow/Lab mix named Bailey...who needed a home, fast. If he couldn't find one, he'd be off to the pound and then who knows what. I was cautious and not into it, but my dad agreed to keeping him for a night or two until he found a real home.
And then Bailey ran in. Literally ran into my home, my room, my heart. He was a ball full of crazy energy, life and happiness. My heart was still reeling from losing Niki, but because Bailey was such a different dog, I didn't feel like it was a replacement for Niki's beloved spot. I gave Bailey a chance for one night, and by the next morning, had told my parents that I wanted to keep Bailey and we were his new home, and I was his owner.
Dogs are known for their loyalty, and Bailey is the epitome of the term. Since the first minute we met, he followed me EVERYWHERE, refusing to leave my side. He slept at the foot of my bed, raced downstairs to reach the bottom before me and was always one step ahead of me. And he was protective, that's for sure. My mom loves to tell the story about how during the first few weeks when we got him, she would go into my room and try to wake me up for school and he'd growl protectively over me, refusing to let my own mother try to wake me!
Eight years later, he's still just as energetic, loving and loyal. It may sound silly, but I feel like I have a very special bond with Bai, even though he may just be a dog. He's my best friend and my loyal companion.
My dad always reminds me of how crazy/bad-dog-Bailey was saved by us, but I know it's much deeper than that. In every way possible, Bailey saved me and showed me the importance of love, all over again.

Thank you, my dear Bailey, for being everything I need at the exact moment I need it. I love you.






Editor's note: Brittany Galla, a graduate of Southern Connecticut State University, is now an editor with a prominent national magazine.

1 comment:

Patti said...

I loved this story about Bailey! I've never had a canine friend. Sounds like a wonderful experience.